Grand Haven Tribune: Prep Roundup

Prep Roundup

Tribune Staff • Apr 25, 2018 at 12:33 AM

Here is a look at all of Tuesday's prep sports action for the Buccaneers, Lakers and Trojans.



The Grand Haven girls soccer team battled with O-K Red Conference rival Rockford on Tuesday night in a game that featured two powerhouse programs in the league.

The host Buccaneers couldn't match the opportunistic Rams, falling 3-1 at Grand Haven High School.

After a scoreless first half, Rockford's Natalie Hammer scored on a chip shot with 29 minutes left in the game to give the Rams a 1-0 lead.

Grand Haven answered five minutes later when junior Miya Luckey drilled home a shot attempt off an assist from teammate Alli Keyser to tie the game 1-1.

Rockford would get free for a goal with nine minutes left in the contest off the foot of Natalie Maple to give the Rams a 2-1 lead with not much time to answer for Grand Haven. A late counter-attack by the Rams netted a third goal with three seconds remaining to bring the game to its final score.

"It was an intense match," said Grand Haven head coach Yvonne McKessy. "Rockford is always a strong team and we look forward to playing them every time they are on our schedule. We've got some adjustments to make as a younger team, and we know that. Rockford has about 14 or so seniors on their roster, so they don't have to do much adjusting.

"It's an exciting time for us because we know the early part of our season is about growth. We want to keep focusing on making improvements along the way so we are playing our best at the end of the season. We look forward to seeing how these girls are going to react to their first loss.

"We need to work on our transitions in the middle of the field. We win the ball out of the air, but we don't quickly get the ball to the outside and find that through (ball). If we can just speed up the process a little bit, we'll be fine."


The Grand Haven softball squad hosted O-K Red Conference foe East Kentwood on Tuesday in doubleheader action. The Buccaneers came away with a sweep with wins of 7-3 and 12-4.

GAME 1: Grand Haven 7, East Kentwood 3

Grand Haven took the lead late in the game after trailing 3-2 in the bottom of the sixth inning. The Buccaneers responded by scoring five runs in the sixth to close the game out.

Ashlyn Hall led the Bucs from the plate, recording two hits, including her first career home run in the third inning. Kaelyn Stafford also added a multi-hit game with two hits against the Falcons.

Baby Hang was on the mound for Grand Haven. She allowed six hits and three runs over seven innings, striking out four and walking one.

GAME 2: Grand Haven 12, East Kentwood 4

Baby Hang collected four hits in five at-bats, as Grand Haven easily dispatched the Falcons in the nightcap.

Hang singled in the first, singled in the third, doubled in the third and doubled in the fifth. Ashlyn Hall continued her hot streak from the batter's box, going 3-for-5 at the plate, including her second home run of the night.

Also adding multi-hit games for the Bucs were Riley Rademaker and Haley Aldred.

"Baby is starting to round into shape," said Grand Haven head coach John Hall. "She is putting a barrel on most balls she hits now. Ashlyn is really seeing the ball well right now, and she is hitting for power. Half of her hits this year have been for extra bases.

"Kaelyn Stafford is picking up the pace, as well, as she hit her second home run of the year tonight. Production from the top of our order is getting more consistent, and that is a good thing for sure. I was really proud to see Riley Rademaker get her first varsity hits tonight, too."

Megan Faber led things off on the hill for Grand Haven. She allowed nine hits and three runs over four and a third innings, striking out six.


The Grand Haven boys volleyball team continued their inaugural season Tuesday night with a non-conference tournament at Davenport University.

The Bucs took on the same three-team rotation as their in-conference nights, but were able to split into two teams as the tournament did not count toward the overall standings.

The Grand Haven Blue team, made up of the Bucs' more experienced players, split their two-game night, defeating Grand Rapids Christian, 25-17, 25-23, and falling to the Carpe Diem club team, 24-26, 17-25.

Leading the stat line for the Blue team were Gavin Jonker with 11 kills, ahead of Logan Naperalla, Trent Perkins and Jake Thayer with three each and Tucker Beland with 12 assists, while Scott Matthews racked up 10 assists and a team-high five aces.

The Grand Haven Gold team dropped all three of their contests Tuesday. They fell to Grand Rapids Christian, 20-25, 16-25; Carpe Diem, 16-25, 19-25; and Kalamazoo Christian 14-25, 7-25.

Head coach Jim Vantol said of the Blue team, "Evan Yu and Miguel Castelan split setting duties and did a very nice job with that, while Matt Fahey and Grant Ruster did a nice job controlling the middle hitter position. On the outside, Kenny Mills and Aiden Bohn did a nice job."

The split teams allowed the Bucs to further develop their deep roster of talent without putting their conference standing in jeopardy.

"Tuesday was about getting as many players on the court as possible and continuing to develop everyone in the program. Having too many guys isn't a problem we thought we would have, but it is a good one to have," Vantol said. "We are seeing across-the-board development with different people stepping up all the time. Our organized offense has gotten better, but serve-receive hurt us a bit tonight.

"Overall, the growth of the team is going really well, especially considering we go 20 players deep. Everyone is still having a good time, still very excited and willing to learn. It has been fantastic."

Grand Haven returns to the court Thursday for another round of conference matches at Grand Rapids Christian.


The Grand Haven boys lacrosse team picked up a marquee win over Lowell at home Tuesday, 9-7.

Ian McClain led the way on offense with four goals.



The Spring Lake baseball team cleaned up their O-K Blue Conference doubleheader against Sparta on Tuesday, defeating the Spartans by scores of 3-0 and 9-6.

Rylan Peets took the win from the mound in Game 1, taking a no-hitter through six innings. In the top of the seventh, he surrendered two hits, but preserved the shutout with 12 strikeouts and three walks.

David Rumptz took the save going one inning with no hits and no runs. Peets led from the plate finishing 2-for-3 with an RBI. Zach Keyser chipped in with a 1-for-2 performance, scoring one run.

Isiah Lindsey took the Game 2 start, pitching four innings and giving up eight runs (one earned), with five strikeouts. Zach Foster threw three innings of relief, giving up three hits and one earned run.

T.J. Cunningham finished 2-for-3 from the dish with an RBI, while Peirce Glore went 1-for-3 with two RBIs.


The Spring Lake boys lacrosse team took on Reeths-Puffer on Tuesday night, downing the Rockets by a narrow score of 11-9.

The battle was fierce throughout, as the Lakers took an early 2-0 lead only to see Reeths-Puffer even the score 2-2 at the end of the first. Both teams netted three goals in the second quarter to bring a 5-5 tie into halftime and matched again in the third for a 7-7 tie heading into the final frame.

There, the Rockets took their first lead of the contest with the first two goals of the fourth quarter. Spring Lake responded with four unanswered goals to surge to the victory.

Sean Carrns converted a hat trick to lead the Lakers, while Dominik Molotky netted two goals and Gavin Alban, Colby Brown, Jake Vinkemulder, Max White, Joey Duell and defenseman Noah Verlinde each netted one goal.

The victory elevates Spring Lake to 4-3 overall and 3-0 in the conference.


The Spring Lake girls soccer team faced off with Grand Rapids West Catholic on Monday night in an O-K Blue Conference road match. The Lakers had no problem flexing their scoring muscles in the contest, cruising to an 8-0 shutout win over the Falcons.

Junior Taylor Colquit scored early off a cross from senior Coco McKeough. West Catholic kept the Lakers out of the net for the rest of the first half to keep the game within reach.

Colquit, looking to jump-start her teammates in the second half, finished a strong break on a ball from senior Emily Batts to extend the Laker lead to 2-0. The Laker forwards got hot after that, with Batts and junior Laney Peasley chipping in back-to-back goals for a 4-0 lead.

Peasley poured on the pressure scoring another goal off a pass from junior Keara Fritsche, as well as assisting junior Madeline Zenas for a goal, who finished with a volley.

Fritsche would add a penalty kick goal for another score, while senior Tia Leary found sophomore Phoebe Saunders for the final goal of the game.

Junior Sara Gray and junior keeper Kamryn Lewkowski led the Laker defense in the shutout effort.



The Fruitport girls soccer team defeated visiting Grand Rapids Union by a score of 4-1 on Tuesday night in O-K Black Conference action. The Trojans surrendered an early penalty kick and the Red Hawks converted to take a 1-0 lead. The Trojans answered before the half as Ellie Fisher converted on a breakaway opportunity to tie the game.

Fisher found the net again minutes later, as Isabelle Raven crossed a ball in and Fisher slid it past the Red Hawk goalkeeper to give Fruitport a 2-1 lead at halftime. In the second half, the Trojans continued to push as Kennah VerMerris found the back of the net off a Raven assist. To finish out the scoring, Maddie Wescott shot a well-placed attempt from 25 yards out off a Kayla Hooker assist for an insurance goal.

Madalyn Fett had two saves for the Trojans, who improve to 3-3 overall and 2-1 in the O-K Black. The Trojans head across town to take on the Reeths-Puffer Rockets on Thursday.


The Fruitport baseball team found themselves on the short end of a dramatic finish Tuesday, as they dropped two games to O-K Black Conference rival Mona Shores.

GAME 1: Mona Shores 3, Fruitport 2

In the opener, the game was tied at two with Mona Shores batting in the bottom of the seventh, when Matt Martin singled on the first pitch of the at-bat, scoring the game-winning run.

Lucas Kleyn was on the mound for Fruitport. He allowed 11 hits and three runs over six and two-thirds innings, striking out two. Jordan Gilbert led the Trojans from the plate, with two hits in three at-bats.

GAME 2: Mona Shores 11, Fruitport 4

In the nightcap, Fruitport watched the game slip away early and couldn't recover in an 11-4 loss to Mona Shores. Mona Shores scored on a home run by Kolbe Trovinger in the first inning, an error in the second inning, and a single by Max Spagnuolo in the second inning to fuel the Sailors' offensive production.

Fruitport lost despite out-hitting Mona Shores 11-8 in the contest. Dominic Colegrove, Jordan Gilbert, Bosse, Luke Hronek and Lucas Kleyn each had multiple hits for Fruitport.

Jeremiah Bosse led things off on the hill for Fruitport. He surrendered six runs on four hits over two innings, striking out two. Landen Fielstra and Jakob Carlisle entered the game from the bullpen, each throwing two innings.

Grand Haven Tribune Videos