Grand Haven Tribune: Prep roundup

Prep roundup

Tribune Staff • Sep 28, 2018 at 12:14 AM




The Spring Lake boys soccer team scored a narrow 1-0 home win over Coopersville on Thursday, as the program celebrated its Cancer Awareness Night.


A long ball by Evan Ernst was converted by Malachi Mudler late in the first half to give the Lakers an early 1-0 lead. That would be all the team needed, as the Spring Lake defense clamped down on the Broncos and limited their scoring chances.


"We are starting to put things together with a fine performance tonight," said Spring Lake head coach Jeremy Thelen. "All the guys put in a great effort, but Tommy Fine and Malachi Mulder were ‘men of the match’ for us tonight."




The Spring Lake volleyball team traveled to Whitehall on Thursday for a non-conference tri-meet against the Vikings and the Fruitport Trojans.


The Lakers came away with back-to-back wins, defeating Whitehall (25-23, 19-25, 15-10) and Fruitport (23-25, 25-12, 16-14) in a pair of three-set matches.


Julia Clover led the Laker defense with 27 digs on the night and served up three aces, while Jenna Core led the offense with 21 kills and Abbi Perkins added 13 kills, five blocks and four aces. Madeline Zenas also had a great night with three blocks, 49 assists and 19 digs.


Spring Lake is now 27-4 overall and 5-1 in the O-K Blue Conference. The Lakers move into their second round of the O-K Blue Conference schedule with a match against Sparta on Tuesday.


Junior varsity: Spring Lake finished 1-1 at their home tri-meet against Fruitport and Whitehall on Thursday. The Lakers defeated Fruitport (25-8, 25-21) but lost to Whitehall (26-28, 20-25). Alicia Mumby led the Lakers with 12 kills, eight blocks and four aces, while Kate Lewkowski and Kendra Kieft each had six kills. Lewkowski also led the team defensively with 17 digs, while Kyla Kobylak led the team in assists with 19. The Lakers are now 14-6-2 overall.




The Grand Haven boys soccer team battled to a 2-2 draw against O-K Red Conference foe Caledonia on Thursday.

After falling behind by two goals in the first 10 minutes of the game, it was beginning to feel like a repeat of the 4-2 drubbing the Bucs took earlier this year against the Fighting Scots.

However, the Bucs dug deep and began to dominate midfield play and forced Caledonia back on their heels. At the 8:31 mark of the first half, junior Max Jerovsek took a pass from senior Mason Mahacek and buried it in the Caledonia goal.

In the second half, the Bucs continued their solid play and at 34:36, junior Charlie Van Singel, off a Mahacek pass, evened the score. Neither team found the game-deciding score after that, and the match would end in a draw.

"It was a great fall night for soccer and both teams battled it out", said Grand Haven coach Nick Tejchma. "At the half, we reflected on our play and made some adjustments. The boys stepped up tonight and delivered a very strong ending to the game."

Grand Haven is now 5-2-3 in the O-K Red Conference and 7-3-3 overall. They continue a welcome homestand next Tuesday night, when they entertain conference rival East Kentwood.


The Grand Haven volleyball squad couldn't close out Caledonia on Thursday in an O-K Red Conference road match. The Fighting Scots took a three-set sweep over the Bucs by scores of 25-21, 25-22 and 25-21.

Ashley Slater recorded seven kills and three aces to lead the Bucs, while Avolyn Lepo added six kills. Ashlyn Hall added 15 assists, while Baby Hang added 10 digs.

"We didn't play very well tonight," said Grand Haven head coach Aaron Smaka. "We didn't come out with the best energy, and I think that cost us. "Defensively, we struggled on our initial touch and offensively, we didn't put enough balls away and our passing wasn't great, either. Serve-receive was pretty good, but the biggest problem was just our overall lack of consistency."

Grand Haven falls to 25-11-2 overall and 1-2 in the O-K Red Conference. The Bucs return to the court on Tuesday for an O-K Red Conference road match at Rockford.



The Fruitport boys soccer team couldn't keep pace with Grand Rapids Union on Thursday, as the Red Hawks scored a 4-1 road win in O-K Black Conference action.

The two teams fought through a highly contested first half and went to the break even at 0-0.

The Red Hawks' offense exploded in the opening minutes of the second half and scored three goals in an eight-minute span to gain control. Union would add another score to extend their lead to 4-0 before the Trojans answered midway through the half, as Logan Manciu finished off a beautiful through ball from Kaleb Krueger to cut the lead to 4-1.

Connor Hines had 10 saves in net for the Trojans.

"I thought our first half might have been our best half of the entire season, but unfortunately for us, we couldn't get out in front and Union came out and seized the momentum in the second half," said Fruitport head coach Dan Hazekamp. "Union is a phenomenal team and it was great to see our boys work rate and ability to move the ball for a majority of the game. We'll work on cleaning up more areas as we progress towards districts."

The Trojans travel to Reeths-Puffer to take on the Rockets on Oct. 4.


The Fruitport volleyball squad fell to a pair of possible district opponents Thursday in a non-conference tri-meet at Whitehall.

The Trojans fell to the host Vikings by scores of 25-13 and 25-16 and dropped a narrow three-set match against Spring Lake by scores of 23-25, 25-12 and 16-14.

Trinity Busscher recorded four aces and 17 digs to lead the Trojans, while Rachel Paulsen added six kills and 13 digs, and Jordyn Carlyle had five kills and 14 assists.

Kylie Oberlin led the team in kills with seven, while Morgan Fialek had six kills.

Fruitport is now 19-12 overall and 5-1 in the O-K Black.



The Western Michigan Christian boys soccer team got some revenge Thursday with a 3-1 road win over Lakes Eight Conference rival Ludington.

The Warriors lone loss of the season came at the hands of the Orioles in a 2-1 home loss on Sept. 11. Thursday night's win now puts WMC in first place in the conference standings.

Charlie Alfree opened the scoring with a goal off an assist by Hayden Hubers 10 minutes into the match. Ludington would answer just five minutes later, however, and tie the game at 1-1 heading into halftime.

In the second half, Hubers scored on a penalty kick, while Andrew Rasmussen added an insurance goal midway through the second half off an assist by Hubers.

"What a great game," exclaimed WMC head coach David Hulings. "I could not be more proud of this team. In the first half, it was 1-1, and they were winning the game by inches. Charlie Alfree had two shots in the first half that were saved by a fantastic keeper. We had one shot (Brandon Fles) off the pipes. But, the boys really worked hard in the second half. We won individual battles and then turned the game in our favor. These boys put up a championship-type performance in a crucial match.

"Our defenders did another amazing job keeping a very active attack off the board for the rest of the night. The score was closer than 3-1, but we have been able to win those close games. It was a great team effort tonight."

The top-ranked Warriors improve to 12-1 overall and 6-1 in the Lakes Eight Conference.

JUNIOR VARSITY: WMC and Ludington played to a 2-2 tie.

Owen Varnado scored for the Warriors in the first half, but the Orioles took a 2-1 halftime lead.

WMC tied the game as Joel McKay scored off a corner kick from Caleb Kozal.

Grand Haven Tribune Videos