“I love it for these girls,” Lady Hilltoppers coach David Strickland said. “They had a massive desire to win and I’m super happy for them.”
With a berth in the TSSAA Class AAA tournament on the line, Science Hill (18-3-1) hosts Region 2-AAA runner-up Powell on Saturday in the sectionals. Bearden (17-3-1), which beat Dobyns-Bennett 8-0 in the regional semifinals, plays at Region 2 champion Maryville.
Science Hill controlled the action much of the night. Finally with 20 minutes to go, Jordan curled a left-footed shot just inside the left post — setting off a celebration — and the Lady ’Toppers followed by holding off Bearden’s most concentrated attack of the night.
Science Hill almost scored again in the final minute when Megan Burleson’s shot from distance clanged off the crossbar and Jordan narrowly missed putting in the rebound.
As it turned out, it wasn’t necessary. Goalkeeper Miaka Miller earned a shutout even though she wasn’t called upon to do much.
“One way we know we’re playing pretty well is when our goalkeeper isn’t very busy,” Strickland said.
Bearden’s bench received two yellow cards for reactions and comments directed toward the linesman late in the game.
RYE COVE 3, J.I. BURTON 0
NORTON — The Lady Eagles closed out the regular season with a Cumberland District sweep of the host Lady Raiders, taking a 25-18, 25-15, 25-15 win.
Kaleigh Sloan recorded 22 service points with five aces, Emily Bishop totaled 20 assists, 13 service points with two aces and four digs, and Mattison Horton had 10 service points, including two aces, with three kills and three digs for Rye Cove. Laken Sharpe and Makayla Harris slammed seven kills apiece.
The teams meet again Monday in the first round of the district tournament. No. 6 seed Burton travels to No. 3 Rye Cove.
THOMAS WALKER 3, CASTLEWOOD 1
CASTLEWOOD — Bella Schwartz piled up 31 assists, three aces and four kills, Talyn Dibrell recorded 12 kills and Abby Bullins added 10 to help the Lady Pioneers pull out a 25-20, 18-25, 25-23, 25-22 Cumberland District win over the Lady Blue Devils.
Layne Bush had seven blocks, six kills and an ace, Annalise White notched two aces, five kills and three blocks, and Janakay Kiser added four aces and four kills for Castlewood.
The Lady Blue Devils, the No. 5 seed in the Cumberland District tournament, go to No. 4 Twin Springs on Monday for a first-roud match. No. 2 seed Thomas Walker has a bye to the semifinals.
REGION 1 SMALL SCHOOLS
GRAY — University High swept the Region 1 Small Schools boys and girls championships for a third straight year.
Sophomore Nick Daniel led the two-time defending state champion University High boys by finishing the 5K course in 18:36, nine seconds ahead of runner-up Chandler Dalton of West Greene.
The Lady Bucs beat runner-up Happy Valley 19-56 for their third straight title. It came on the heels of Maggie Whitson receiving an honor as the TSSAA coach of the year for 2018-19.
University High’s Isabelle Johnson took the individual title in a time of 22:14, five seconds ahead of Washburn’s Emily Coffey.
The Lady Bucs had five of the race’s top seven finishers.
Region 1 Small School Cross Country Championships
1. University High 32, 2. West Greene 34, 3. Happy Valley 117, 4. South Greene 118, 5. Chuckey-Doak 118, 6. Washburn 124.
1. Nick Daniel, University High 18:36.
2. Chandler Dalton, West Greene 18:45.
3. Irving Medina, Chuckey-Doak 18:46.
4. Matthew Vance, West Greene 18:47.
5. Hayden Charles, University High 18:50.
6. Thomas Johnson, West Greene 19:15.
7. Nate Tucker, University High 19:33.
8. Thomas Johnson, University High 19:45.
9. Jacob Absher, Happy Valley 19:45.
10. Jayden Gregg, West Greene 19:49.
11. Raiden Ramacus-Perdue, University High 19:52.
12. Jonathan Sanchez, West Greene 20:14.
13. Hunter Gregg, West Greene 20:21.
14. Clay Duncan, University High 20:28.
15. Drew Morrison, West Greene 20:40.
1. University High 19, 2. Happy Valley 56, 3. West Greene 78, 4. South Greene 87.
1. Isabelle Johnson, University High 22:14.
2. Emery Coffey, Washburn 22:19.
3. Holly Moore, Happy Valley 22:38.
4. Melina Summey, University High 22:46.
5. Camilla Rivas, University High 23:33.
6. Anna Bader, University High 23:50.
7. Anna Davidson, University High 24:17.
8. Riley Ottinger, South Greene 24:33.
9. Haley Miller, Happy Valley 24:36.
10. Courtney Bruce, Chuckey-Doak 25:26.
11. Christiana Ricker, West Greene 25:50.
12. Brooke Atchinson, West Greene 25:52.
13. Isabelle Dunkelberger, University High 26:09.
14. Braelyn Coffey, Washburn 26:30.
15. Kirsten Day, University High 26:45.